Psychedelic Therapy for Substance Use and Alcohol Abuse Disorders
Substance Use and Alcohol Abuse Disorders
Substance use disorders are currently one of the most common mental health disorders, with 6% of individuals over the age of 12 experiencing a substance use disorder. Of those, nearly 74% struggle with alcohol use disorder.
Substance abuse statistics:
- Over 11% of enrolled college students take amphetamines that are not prescribed to them
- In 2019, 10.1 million people misused opioids in the past year
- Nearly one million people have died from an overdose since 1999
- 2/3 of overdose deaths are opioid related
- 1.5% of people over the age of twelve have a marijuana use disorder
- More than 25% of adults over age 18 reported binge drinking in the last month
- The cost to society from substance abuse and addiction totals more than $740 billion
Substance abuse carries a massive stigma in our society, but the reality is that those struggling with substance abuse are managing as best as they can. Whether it be cocaine or amphetamines, alcohol or marijuana, prescription opioids or fentanyl, there is something within us that feels missing that our drug of choice provides. “Getting high” is a spiritual aim sought through material means.
Substance use and addiction are incredibly destructive to individuals, relationships, families, and society.
Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy and Substance Use Disorders
One of the key findings from psychedelic research is that psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy is effective at helping individuals change their relationships to themselves and the substances they use. People are able to see what role substances play in their lives, and are able to resource what they derived from the drug internally and through positive life changes.
Our team at Within can help you to change your relationship to yourself and whatever may be your substance of choice. Our offerings of ketamine-assisted therapy can help you to see yourself and create changes in your life that fill the void that the substance was filling.
Schedule an initial consultation with us today